Thursday, July 12, 2012

Packing



Our A-5 paperwork should be picked up today (or already was, since they are 12 hours ahead), and then it will/did go for Travel Approval. Once we get that, our agency will start to schedule our trip and we could leave within two weeks. I've started packing.

We'll be taking two domestic flights inside China, so we are limited to two large suitcases and carry-ons. The contents of these are spread all over my room, but Sapphire keeps finding interesting things in the piles and carrying them off.

I've decided to take clothes for Ruby, and I'm trying to limit myself in the cute little summer dresses we had packed up from last Sapphire's use last summer! The update we got a few weeks ago show she's just moved into the 18 month size.  I'll secure her clothes in gallon plastic bags to keep things tidy. We plan to pack light and wash our laundry in the hotel rooms. I don't anticipate buying all that much there, but we could always buy another piece of luggage in Guangzhou for our international flight home.

No photos of the mess, since Jasper took the camera with him and Pearl on their trip to Boston. No one really wants to see that anyway!

Some packing considerations: flat, light toys and tasty treats to win Ruby over and keep her happy on flights and day trips. Cheerios seems to be recommended, and DumDums. I've rummaged through our toy boxes to find some things rather than buy new. Sapphire is especially interested in this pile. 

Item pictureIt's been a while since I traveled out of the country, and technology has changed so much. I bought a 10" netbook last night on ebay, and I'm hoping it will be the easiest thing to use to keep in touch with Pearl and Sapphire while we are away. I've downloaded Skype on my bigger laptop for my parents to use while they keep the girls. I'm not sure how the internet use will be in China. Some internet sites are unavailable or spotty, like blogger, youtube, facebook, twitter, and gmail. Skype works, and people can get a VPN to somehow circumvent the Great Fire Wall.  This is all a lot to learn! If anyone reading this has suggestions, please comment.

We also want to have some ability to find things to do once we are there. In this photo you can see that Ruby is used to gallivanting around town, and we want to keep that up!




1 comment:

Cheri said...

Thank you for sharing your journey and your thoughts! I feel your excitement and frustrations and longing to finally have your WHOLE family united! I continue to pray for your travel date to come quickly, for your safe travels, and for a smooth transition for "Ruby" into her new life. How blessed you all are!!

Cheri