Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Names


Ruby’s orphanage assigned her a name, and Jasper was very excited when we finally saw the actual characters and got a chance to work out what it meant.  Jasper worked with Google translator and his Chinese-English, English-Chinese to figure out the meaning of Ju Er's name.

Because of his year in China, he knew to pronounce her first name, , like this:  Jew-Are, though with the accent the first one sounds a little more like "chew" cut short. "che--". 

The meaning of the second character (Er) is "child". The meaning of the first character (Ju) is probably "Chrysanthemum" or maybe "Daisy."

Her last name means "warm."
So literally her whole name would mean "Warm Chrysanthemum
Child."

We’re keeping the first name they gave her as her middle name so that, if she every wants to, she can identify herself as Chinese through her name.
I dipped into Google Translate myself tonight as I create thank you cards for the nannies. I’m affixing a photo they sent of Ruby to a red card. Inside I’m placing the message Google Translate spit out for me when I typed in my sentiments.  Hopefully they’ll be able to make out the gratitude!

No comments: