Tuesday, June 04, 2013

Trip Day 1: Pediatrician Office and Airport

How should one fill the day before a late evening flight and everything else is taken care of? Sapphire took care of that one. At 9:45am she took a hobby horse stick and bopped a wooden wall hanging sitting securely on a door lintel.  The wooden plaque plunged into her hairline, leave a deep wound that would require 6 stitches. By the time I got down the steps she was crying, asking for a band aid, as if that would fix it. Meanwhile, her daddy was collecting her shoes.

Jasper rushed her to the pediatrician, and I finished getting ready and made it in time to hold her down for the stitches. This is the second time I've had that honor. There was a lot of screaming, but she didn't struggle.






Pearl was *very* distraught about her sister's pain. I think she broke out in hives over it, if I've identified the hives properly. Ruby no sooner saw her post-op big sister's new band aid than she slapped the sticker the receptionist gave her onto her own little forehead. It was pretty cute!

Once she got home, she was fine and in need of a princess dress. 

I, however, felt a great deal of stress to finish everything that needed to be done before I left. My husband was very helpful in being supportive and keeping the kids busy. After returning home twice because I had forgotten things, I headed south to Dulles, and realized that this was the same route we had traveled last August to meet Ruby. This time, however, there was not an enormous snarl on the DC beltway, and I made great time. Remembering the stress of that drive, I realized that at least this trip did not see me traveling to meet a complete stranger and convince her to love me, and then, regardless of my success, lug her back across the ocean.  That was one pessimistic way of looking at that trip before we met Ruby; of course we were greatly blessed during that trip.

In comparison, this is all very easy. So now I'm on my way to Reykjavik for 2 days of touring. I hope to post photos of what I see there. 



Finally, here's a photo of Pearl's mini collection, proudly displayed at the Collinsville Library's mini museum for all to see. If you can't quite make out what she is showing, they are plant tags. She love small things.





No comments: