Friday, June 07, 2013

Day 4--Munich

I am working on one hour of sleep and a cup of Icelandic coffee, but I think I´m doing very well here in Munich. I arrived this morning at 9am and went straight to the Viktulienmarkt to see the farmers market there. A class of artists were sketching the manz church towers in the panoramic view, and people were buying ´spargel´or fat asparagus.

Just stepping onto German soil was a relief. I went from a country where every word and sign was indecipherable, to a place where I understand the language, at least a little bit. I don´t get lost here, because I can remember the road names--they seem to make sense to me. And the weather is !perfect!






Also, the food is 100% more appetizing, and about one third the price of Icelandic food. There are piles of bread for sale, and mounds of cheese. While I was snacking on my cheese sandwich at the Viktulienmarkt, an older lady told me she never buys anything there--too expensive.

I caught the start of the Glockenspiel show, a centuries old mechanical entertainment on the old gothic Town Hall towere.  I had to rush to make my tour for Dachau, so I didn´t see it all.

The trip to Dachau was hard to process.  There was a large group of college kids with me and a few other adults. They were facinated and shocked because it was all new to them.  I had seen these images before, and seeing them in the context of the place they happened was very strange. I didn´t want to take pictures of the really bad parts, like the incinerator or the gas chamber rooms.  It was strange to be there as tourists when it seemed so horrible a thing to commemorate.






We took the train back from the town of Dachau, and I made some plans for upcoming days. Tomorow I´ll join some new friends--an aunt and neice from Colorado-- for a trip to Salzburg, Austria.   The following day Cheryl will join me here.

I had a donner swarma for dinner and now I´m off to rest my tired feet. Good night!



No comments: