Monday, June 17, 2013

Day 13--Oslo


The sun here always seems to be up. We cannot remember when we last saw the dark. This morning we were blinded by the sun and out of the hotel   looking for something to do around 7.30am, but it turns out nothing opens here until 10am!

The sculpture park was open though, so we took a tram and explored the larger than life stone statues. The artist worked a sweet deal with the city--if they supported him and gave him a nice studio, he would create art just for the city for the rest of his life.

We walked into the Town Hall just as the morning tour started, and it was more interesting that we had expected.  I am not a fan of Norwegian frescos, but they certainly fit a lot of history into them.  We saw the hall where they award the Nobel Peace Prize.  All the other Nobel prizes are awarded in Stockholm.

Cheryl and I split up because I wanted more history, so I went to the Norwegian Resistance Museum and the Ankershus Castle.   The Resistance Museum proudly chronicles how the country fought the Nazi invaders who were in charge here for 5 years.  I found an anti-Nazi  Christmas card I hope to include in my book.

the fortress
The medieval fortress, like many castles, has been renovated many times as needed. It sits here overlooking the harbor.  They had it decorated the way Christian the Fourth, the Dano-Norwegian king had it done. In Denmark they just call him the Danish king, so it is interesting to see different perspectives of history.  This fortress also served as the Nazis´  headquarters, but that did not get any mention in the museum.  

I ate a very traditional but very smokey and bleh smoked salmon open face sandwich with a huge helping of cold scrambled egg on top.  Lots of protein at least.  I have to say I was a little homesick as I walked around the city after lunch.  

Cheryl and I met up to view the cathedral, which we found a little garish with the Norwegian frescoes on the ceiling.  Then we took a relaxing ferry ride around the islands in the harbor.  Osloers go there for sun bathing and hiking, but we just ferried around them and enjoyed the gorgeous clouds.  We are having such beautiful weather here.  I hope it lasts tomorrow, since that is our chance to see some scenic beauty in the countryside.

Finally we took the subway to see the Munch Museum.  They pronounce it ´Munk´.  I saw The Scream, but it was not the highlighted piece. In fact, he really did much more with the female form and self portraits than the iconic Scream image that was simply painted on untreated cardboard--not even canvas!

Sorry girls, no animals today.   I look forward to being home soon, to celebrate Pearl´s seventh birthday with a series of celebrations, starting with a cherry picking party the morning after I get home.  


No comments: