Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Wedding in Western PA

Our wood stove sits in front of a ten foot wall of field stone. It is, to me at least, an improvement over the coal stove. No shaking the unburned coal into the pan, no noisy metal-on-coal rattle every time you add a shovel of fuel--I came to understand why the ladies of Cranford found coal distasteful. The wood stove quietly accepts a log or two. 

So far, I haven't discerned the same cantankerous nature here; our old coal stove seemed to know it was me handling it and always tried to put out its fire. Daniel touched up this wood stove so it looks brand new. 




The girls and I enjoyed a family reunion during my cousin's wedding in Somerset. The primping and planning that went into the wedding, and this was entirely on the part of the three little girls! We packed their fanciest dresses, and Pearl planned hair styles. She couldn't wait for the day to come.

The wedding itself was relaxed and perfectly decorated for the fall.  Pumpkin perfect. The rising host of bubbles as the bride and groom left the church was one of the prettiest sights I've seen for a while.


At the reception Sapphire wandered off to make friends with just about everyone, especially my cousin's patient girlfriend. Pearl and I joined a tour of the wine presses and tanks below the reception hall. Later she assisted the photo booth attendant.
 

Back on the farm and out of their fancy dresses, the girls also enjoyed corralling the barn cats. We took one kitten along on a walk to the family cemetery, which is maintained as a garden by a distant cousin.

No comments: