Wednesday, October 01, 2014

The Varied Life of Our Kitchen Table

I came home from class Monday night to find our table covered in steamed crabs.  A friend had been crabbing that very day and delivered them.  The girls feasted.  Daniel was picking the remaining crabs when I walked in. The scene reminded me of a crab dinner twenty years ago at a beach house in the Outer Banks. 

The purple floating thing is a jellyfish, of course.  Sapphire made it in her Oceans class.  When she was telling me about the crabs, she explained that the man had poured seasoning into the ocean to flavor the crabs before catching them. 


Yesterday Pearl had her first Chinese class.  Making this happen in rural central Pennsylvania isn't as easy as in the big city.  I found a native speaker willing to give lessons. She is a substitute teacher at a local school and was a science teacher in China.  I also invited other homeschooling families to join the class.  Daniel is a student too.

Happy October!

No comments: