Wednesday, December 04, 2013

Characters of Christmas


My mother's Fellowship Committee of very audacious planners organize a Christmas dinner for the women of their church and guests. This year my mom decorated her table with the Santa collection that used to grace my grandmother's mantle every December. Other tables had a vintage Christmas ornament theme, a red, white and black theme, a Russian nesting doll theme, and a Rochet chocolate theme.








After the meal, I was able to share a talk I prepared from the chapter in my book about the gift-bringers in different cultures. This is one of the more unusual figures. The Krampus comes to Bavaria to scare children into good behavior.  It is unlikely he will be replacing Santa Claus at the mall.






These guys are the Icelandic Yule lads. They would each arrive on a different day leading up to Christmas to cause trouble for the farmstead. One stole sausage, one bothered the sheep so they wouldn't give milk.







And here is our own little elf. Today was my birthday, so my family took me to a Hibachi lunch and then worked with me to decorate the house for Christmas. I don't think it has ever gone faster--three eager little daughters and a neighborhood friend practically had the ornaments flying out of my hand!

No comments: