Friday, February 20, 2015

174 Days

While reading stories this morning, Sapphire asked if we could go ice skating.  Four hours later we were on the ice.  As a first-time skater, she did pretty well. She started off clinging to me, but eventually insisted on hurtling around the oval on her own.  I think the last scene in "Frozen" has something to do with this new-found interest. 

I discovered that prayer and ice-skating with children go well together.  We escaped without chipped teeth or concussions.  I had initially feared broken bones, but once we stumbled around the ice for about twenty feet, I knew the real dangers.  We may take a helmet next time we go; this little skater was already asking to go back. 

She thinks she fell about twenty times, but I'm sure it was more like one hundred.

I'll be honest. I fell once.

We had a relaxed sort of school week, but learning happens during these times too. Maybe more learning happens.  Pearl burned through several audio books while she designed some Barbie outfits. You cannot see some of her miniscule seams because they resemble the work of a starved little Victorian child laborer, though that is entirely of her own choice. 

When she wasn't sewing, Pearl learned about baby-care by helping to watch her baby cousin.  So our days of learning are accruing.  By next week, we should complete the 180 required days of education, and we can continue learning off the books. 







No comments: