Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Not a Still Life





We have been outdoors a good bit lately, and here you can see how  my daffodils have been multiplying.  They make a really pretty show in the front bed now.








Yesterday we had our co-op.  One of Pearl's classes is art, and here is a creation from last time we met. 

Because the art teacher was out with a sick child, I taught that class yesterday. We worked on the idea of landscape, still life, and portrait.  Those eight little girls whipped through paper like crazy.  It was all we could do to keep their water refreshed and paper in front of them.


Here is the still life.  She might look longingly at those apples, because she won't bit them.  I've noticed that she has been gnawing her food from the side, and it turns out she is trying to  keep her last front tooth from popping out.  We've already had tears when she noticed the wiggle. 








Last night, while their daddy made a rushed visit to the hospital (to see someone else, not for himself), the girls and I had an impromptu picnic.  We ordered Chinese food for them and sushi for me, and found a very grassy spot beside the creek at York College. We had to experiment with the limited dishes we had available in the car, so here is Ruby eating lo mein from a cup. I think it works better than a plate! While we ate we watched the willow trees wave.  



 "Can I go in the creek?"


After staring longingly at the creek, the girls came along for a celebratory Sweet Frog treat.  Pearl had read her first five chapter books, and this was the reward.  The line at Sweet Frog was amazing. I think I was at the end of a 40 person line, but it moved quickly.  The poppers are the girls' favorite topping. Pearl insisted I take her photo as she popped one. 



Also, we recently watched "The Wizard of Oz" with the two big girls. Note: the talking trees are *not* as scary as I remember them.  Jasper did say that the look on Sapphire's face when the tree slapped Dorothy was one of shock.  The witch is terrifying, but if you watch it all huddled together on a couch, you can get through it.  Pearl says she thought it would be scarier than it was.





No comments: