Thursday, June 12, 2014

Cherished

Last week on the anniversary of D-Day, we had a chance to chat with a veteran who was there. He is a kind neighbor in our old neighborhood, a retired policeman.  He initially said he wasn't really there because his troop transport was hit by two mines and sunk before it landed on the fateful beach. He made it out of the water eventually.


I asked a friend to repair the large mouse holes chewed in this quilt made by my great-grandmother. The crazy quilt is amazing, but very delicate.  Now that it has been repaired, we can put it to use, since that is what quilts are for.

My friend Bev did a lovely job, and my husband couldn't even find the repairs.  You can see that Capitola, the initial artist, worked on her quilt for years. She has added several 'notes' about her age as she finished this full size quilt. 



With all of our things around us in the new house, it really feels like we have been there a long time.  The frogs have been entertaining the girls. They go on frog walks around the pond to count the frogs (or, in Sapphire's case, try to catch them).  This requires a weird kicking-out-over-the-water way of walking that they tell me scares the frogs into jumping into the water. 

I finally saw a tiny frog sitting on one of our lily pads. I didn't get a picture of him, but I did catch this blooming water lily in the fish pond. 

No comments: