Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Mothers Day with Three

I had the best Mothers Day ever this year. It is my first Mothers Day as mommy to three little girls, and I enjoyed that as I held Ruby on my hip during worship on Sunday.  It is also the first year that I spent some time shopping for my own Mothers Day gifts, so I got just what I wanted.  Plus, as my husband reminded me, I'm headed to Scandinavia, and he wanted that to count for Mothers Day too. As I think about it, this may have been the best Mothers Day I am ever likely to have!



The day started early with a Mothers Day breakfast at church, and the Youth Group ran it very smoothly with lots of hugs for the moms. Here's Sapphire, the early riser, helping to set the table shortly after we arrived that morning.

We had friends over for lunch, and in the evening everyone but Sapphire (who fell asleep on the couch at 6pm) lounged around and watched Dr. Who.







On Jasper's day off we thought we'd explore Rocky Ridge Park without the Christmas lights. It is much less garish this way (every other time we've been there it has been to see the over-the-top Christmas light display).

The girls climbed as many rocks as they could, plus some playground toys and a few sign posts.







We've also seen a breakthrough this week in Sapphire's desire to write. For someone who would rather stare at a blank coloring page than draw on it, it seemed like she might wait to make her letters, but this week she's been writing them everywhere. "Look at my beautiful E" she'll say proudly. I noticed that Pearl is a kind and helpful assistant teacher when my hands are covered in flour and someone needs to know which way an "F" points.

The packages with Pearl's 2nd grade material arrived this week, so I got a look at the general curriculum that guides us through the year. I started reading the big girls the *Life of Fred* math book right away, and they seem to find the silly stories of math application entertaining. We read the first 7 chapters at one go, so that was a good sign. I'm not quite sure how Pearl will handle an increase in structured writing and seat time next year. She is so in love with her imaginative play time; tying her down to a table, even for brief bits of work, seems like a burden to her.

I feel a little tied to a desk lately. I'm trying to write a new chapter on the Biblical information available about the Nativity. My editor thought I needed more on that, and when I realized that I had only 4 pages about the first Christmas, I agreed.  Fast forward to a crash course in Greco-Roman Judea, Herod the Great, and the Roman census, and the challenge of making that history upbeat and palatable for non-historian audiences. At least I'll have an informed proofreader when Jasper takes a look at it.

I know it is late, but Happy Mothers Day!









No comments: